PHASE 1 VOTING FOR THE 2022 DETROIT MUSIC AWARDS IS NOW CLOSED!
HOW PHASE 1 WORKED
- ONE submission per email. You may make up to ten (10) different submissions, but each must be a separate email.
- Use this format: YOUR name, followed by submission Last name (or band name), First name, Genre, Category. If your submission is for an instrumentalist, please include instrument & band(s) affiliation. If your submission is for a vocalist, please include any band(s) affiliation.
- As previously noted, there have been significant changes in the categories this year. *Please refer to the 2022 CATEGORIES page for a list of all genres and categories*
- Per the changes in this year's categories, there will not be genre-specific categories for Outstanding Vocalist and Outstanding Songwriter. There will be one (1) category for each, open to artists in all genres.
- Similarly, there will be one (1) category each for Guitarist, Bassist, Keyboardist, Percussionist, and Specialty Instruments, open to artists in all genres. An individual artist may be nominated in only ONE category. In the case of multiple category submissions, the artist's own submission will take precedence. As always, the DMAF balloting committee will approve final category placements.
- Please note the exceptions on the Special Honorees page before submitting your entries.
- The "Outstanding Live Performance" category includes virtual as well as live performances this year.
- Recordings (physical or digital; single, EP, or album) must have been released on a known streaming platform (e.g. Spotify, Pandora, SoundCloud, etc.), digital retail outlet (e.g. iTunes, Amazon Music, CD Baby, etc.) or available at a physical retail outlet. You must include the title, genre, release date and label (if any) for all submissions.
- To be considered as choices for the 2022 Detroit Music Awards, recordings must have been initially released between January 1, 2021 and December 31, 2021. Re-releases or releases only on social media sites (e.g. Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.) are not eligible.
- Any deviation from the above format will automatically disqualify the submission.
- Deadline for submissions is 11:59pm EST, on Sunday, January 23, 2022. Any email received after that time will not be considered for nomination.
- Submitting names or recordings during this phase does NOT nominate the Artist, Group or Recording for the Final Ballot.
- Names eligible to be considered as choices must have a connection, or perform a body of work, primarily in the Detroit metro area, which, for our purposes, stretches as far north as Flint, as far west as metropolitan Ann Arbor, as far south as the Ohio border, and as far east as the Detroit River and Lake St. Clair.
PREVIOUS PHASES (2021)
HOW PHASE 2 WORKED
The Nomination phase allowed voters to choose from the names and recordings that were submitted in Phase I and met the previously outlined criteria. The voting was done entirely online through a third party site (Election Runner) to insure accuracy and fairness. Only current (or newly registered) Detroit Music Awards members were allowed to participate in the Nomination Phase and needed their Voter ID and Voter Key to log into the ballot.
Voting in this Phase started at 9am on January 28 and ended at 11:59pm on February 7, 2021. The top six (6) in each category will then move on to the Final Ballot stage. Click HERE to be taken directly to the ballot or go to our PHASE 2 NOMINATIONS page for more detailed information.
HOW PHASE 3 WORKED
During this phase, the Final Voting Ballot was available online after a voter logged in. The choices were determined from the most nominated recordings, artists, etc. in the Nomination Phase. Eligible, active voters were contacted via email when the Final Voting process began on February 16, 2021. If you did not receive an email, you were not an active voter. Only currently active Detroit Music Awards members could participate in the Final Voting Phase. No new registrations were accepted after Phase 3 began.
This was the final phase of voting determined the winners in each category. Voting ended at 11:59pm on February 28, 2021. Winners were announced on April 11 during the Live Stream Debut at 8pm.