PHASE 1 - SUBMISSIONS
PHASE 1 (SUBMISSIONS) FOR THE 2022 DETROIT MUSIC AWARDS IS NOW CLOSED
HOW PHASE 1 WORKED
The submission phase was designed to build a list of choices to assist current (or newly registered) Detroit Music Awards voters when casting their votes on the Nomination Ballot during PHASE 2 of the online voting process. This was the preliminary list, so keep in mind that only one submission was necessary to insure any artist was included. Multiple entries for the same artist did not count as additional votes or benefit the artist in any way. Enlisting friends, family or co-workers to send out the same email over and over only slows the process down at this stage and may result in disqualification for the artist.
Be sure to READ CAREFULLY! There have been a number of significant changes in the categories this year, so please review them thoroughly before making your choices. Last year's submission procedures remain in effect and will be enforced.
Please follow the guidelines below and send Phase 1 submissions to:
- ONE submission per email. You may make up to ten (10) different submissions, but each must be a separate email.
- Use this format: YOUR name, followed by submission Last name (or band name), First name, Genre, Category. If your submission is for an instrumentalist, please include instrument & band(s) affiliation. If your submission is for a vocalist, please include any band(s) affiliation.
- As previously noted, there have been significant changes in the categories this year. *Please refer to the 2022 CATEGORIES page for a list of all genres and categories*
- Per the changes in this year's categories, there will no longer be genre-specific categories for Outstanding Vocalist and Outstanding Songwriter. There will be one (1) category for each, open to artists in all genres.
- Similarly, there will be one (1) category each for Guitarist, Bassist, Keyboardist, Percussionist, and Specialty Instruments, open to artists in all genres. An individual artist may be nominated in only ONE of the categories. In the case of multiple submissions, the artist's own submission will take precedence. As always, the DMAF balloting committee will approve final category placements.
- Please note the exceptions on the Special Honorees page before submitting your entries.
- The "Outstanding Live Performance" category includes virtual as well as live performances this year.
- Recordings (physical or digital; single, EP, or album) must have been released on a known streaming platform (e.g. Spotify, Pandora, SoundCloud, etc.), digital retail outlet (e.g. iTunes, Amazon Music, CD Baby, etc.) or available at a physical retail outlet. You must include the title, genre, release date and label (if any) for all submissions.
- To be considered as choices for the 2022 Detroit Music Awards, recordings must have been initially released between January 1, 2021 and December 31, 2021. Re-releases or releases only on social media sites (e.g. Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.) are not eligible.
- Any deviation from the above format will automatically disqualify the submission.
- Deadline for submissions is 11:59pm EST, on Sunday, January 23, 2022. Any email received after that time will not be considered for nomination.
- Submitting names or recordings during this phase does NOT nominate the Artist, Group or Recording for the Final Ballot.
- Names eligible to be considered as choices must have a connection, or perform a body of work, primarily in the Detroit metro area, which, for our purposes, stretches as far north as Flint, as far west as metropolitan Ann Arbor, as far south as the Ohio border, and as far east as the Detroit River and Lake St. Clair.